1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

The Big Bang

From time to time, as I, to paraphrase John Gillespie Magee, "dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings", minding my own business, suddenly: BANG! A very loud static-y sounding electrical noise pierces my eardrums. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but it is very jarring. It's been going on since I got my plane last September. It doesn't happen too often. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all on a flight, but when it does it's incredibly annoying.

I initially used a pair of Bose A20 headsets, but then I switched to a pair of Delta Zulus. The Big Bang happens on both types of headsets. When I fly solo, I usually unplug the right headset and it may make the Big Bang not happen, or happen less, I'm not sure.

At this point, I mostly tune it out, but when I have a passenger who has never flown in an Icon with me and the Big Bang happens, they freak out and jump in their seats.

Does any of this sound familiar? Happening to you too? Any idea what causes it or how to eliminate the problem?
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Friedman View Post
    From time to time, as I, to paraphrase John Gillespie Magee, "dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings", minding my own business, suddenly: BANG! A very loud static-y sounding electrical noise pierces my eardrums. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but it is very jarring. It's been going on since I got my plane last September. It doesn't happen too often. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all on a flight, but when it does it's incredibly annoying.

I initially used a pair of Bose A20 headsets, but then I switched to a pair of Delta Zulus. The Big Bang happens on both types of headsets. When I fly solo, I usually unplug the right headset and it may make the Big Bang not happen, or happen less, I'm not sure.

At this point, I mostly tune it out, but when I have a passenger who has never flown in an Icon with me and the Big Bang happens, they freak out and jump in their seats.

Does any of this sound familiar? Happening to you too? Any idea what causes it or how to eliminate the problem?
    Sounds like a static issue, probably not from exterior static but wires that are touching. When I picked our plane up originally in Vacaville I couldn't fly it because they had a bad connector in the headset jack - apparently the second one already for that (new) plane. I'm sure it wasn't the only one that suffered something from that hardware...
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just bought a pair of Delta Zulus and had this happen. Didn't happen with my Zulu 3. And it was LOUD! After fiddling around with a bunch of settings I discovered that decreasing the volume on the headset controller and turning the volume up slightly on the radio, reduced the frequency of this happening by a huge amount. And when it did happen, the loudness was also reduced substantially.

Even better, I was having issues with the noise cancelling seeming to cut in/out when at full throttle. This issue went away entirely. I said seeming to cut out because it sounded more like interference from the ignition system than external noise.