1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Best phone/tablet mounting solution?

Hey All, What are your preferred/most successful solutions for mounting phones and tablets for ForeFlight access during flight? I've been using the 'ol store-it-in-my-lap or on the passenger seat (or passenger's hands) methods, but would like a better solve. I tried a RAM suction-mount but couldn't find an ideal surface for that or a hard point for a RAM claw mount, so I've held off on that purchase... Anyone have suggestions?

Note: I'm an iPhone and iPad user, more often the former than the latter, but having a solution for both would be nice. - Joseph Staten (N475BA)
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Hey Joseph-

I've flown this RAM mount solution for about 5 year: https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-166-un7u
    See pic below.
    The suction cup holds well to that area of the windscreen, you just have to mount it high enough so it doesn't hit the instrument cluster when you close the canopy. I'll re-mount the suction cup every so often, just in case, but I've never had an issue with it falling off in flight.

I typically fly with my phone as backup [recording my track for logbook use] and use the Aera 796 for primary navigation, but for longer flights I'll add an iPad mini with a minimalist knee strap. l have an older version of this strap:
    https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/14042
    This newer version looks like the clamps cover up a bit more of the screen on either side. My version has smaller clamps [seen in the video], and it's easy to slide them up or down the edge of the tablet to get them out of the way without removing the iPad.

Cheers.
    tc

Name:  IMG_5269.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  402.4 KB
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    The 11" iPad on the right is held on with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The iPad mini is suctioned to the 760 with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Happy ForeFlighting!
    Attachments Attachments  
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I am used to flying with my iPad on a lap mount. I realized day one that was not necessary for Iconing, IMO. If I were to use a jet ski (I detest them) I would not need a moving GPS or similar details on it. Likewise I find little need for anything beyond the 796, and if I had the G3X version (or if were possible to upgrade) that would be an even more resounding stance for me. This is all VFR truly visual flying, most of it daytime, to generally known places or to places that I learn more about with eyes out the window than inside on the iPad.

As such, my iPad sits in the center, facing in, with the elastic band holder tucked behind the checklist. I pull it out very rarely if I am crossing to a new area that I need a frequency for that I can't pull up easily on the 796. Beyond that, it has no real use for me. If I were to use it a little more or was doing a long cross-country, I might opt to Ram mount the iPhone instead, so I had all the FF info handy that way rather than using the bulkier iPad. I have been thinking about not even taking the iPad out of my flight bag going forward (which I have in back of the passenger seat so I can still reach it if needed).
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I use a relatively inexpensive mount I found on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Da...ion-Gooseneck-

I use it to display the ECU information while flying. Just have to remember to dismount the tablet or USB cable before opening the canopy.

Name:  20230819_160005.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  1.37 MBName:  20230819_160535.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  1.80 MBName:  20230819_160538.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  2.28 MB
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Hi Timothy,

Can you explain how you get ECU data into your iPad? I would love to do that. I also have the 796 so no engine data in the Garmin.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Their is a serial port connection behind the baggage wall that maintenance uses. A dongle has to be purchased from Rotax...($1600,00) For annuals, they either purchase it or have it sent from Icon and return it. The software program is free from Rotax.Name:  20230819_155434.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  2.44 MBName:  20230819_155434.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  2.44 MB
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Feel free to give me a call. 603-674-9020
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Your picture answered my question... It's wired, not bluetooth... Not a huge deal since I have to remove all the panels anyway to do the 100hr. I will give you a call this fall to discuss.
  10. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 59 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    wow! is that a windows based tablet? If not I didn't realize they now offer B.U.D.S in app format.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yes, it is windows based. I use a Microsoft Surface Go 3 tablet.

Tim
  12. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 59 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Oh ok that makes sense.
  13. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I guess I will have to wait for the iOS version...