1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Garmin Aera 796 Desktop Stand Adapter

Hi Folks-

For any of you still rolling with the Aera 796…
    It always bugged me that the desktop stand oriented the device vertically, instead of horizontally as it’s mounted in the A5. The hole pattern isn’t a square, so you can’t just re-orient the mounting bracket.
    Years ago I modeled and 3D printed this adapter plate that lets you put the mounting bracket on ‘properly’. It’s a small, simple thing, considering the amount of time I actually have to use the desktop stand, but when I do at least I’m not turning my head sideways. You’ll need 4 additional 4mm screws and washers to mount the adapter to the stand. Then the bracket attaches to the other holes using the existing screws. The holes are sized so you can tap them, but just letting the screws bite into the plastic should be plenty strong for a non-mission-critical install. Only trick is the holes in the stand are threaded, so be sure you have the adapter tight against the stand as you install the screws from the back. See the pic for reference. I’ve included the .stl file if you want to print your own.
    Just thought I'd share.

Cheers.
    tc

Attachments Attachments   
    Attached Files Attached Files