1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Dirty power off stall

Has anyone else tried a power off stall dirty, that is with full flaps and landing gear down? The flight instructor who gave my my biennial review had me stall the A5 dirty and I was surprised how quickly the right wing dropped. The response to rudder and elevator was quick, but I didn't sense any aileron response in the stall.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 36 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I don't remember if I ever tried with the gear down. I am practicing this week-end for my check ride. Will let you know...
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    We went up and practiced dirty stalls (full flaps, landing gear down) a few times today, both power-off and power-on.

While I found the power-on stall response slightly more aggressive than power-off, honestly both were very tame. We even tried moderately uncoordinated stalls and experienced only a slight wing drop. I retained decent aileron response and bank control throughout, as I'm accustomed to in a clean configuration.

This was at near max gross weight and with a moderate right quartering tailwind, gusting 15–20 knots. The only A5 configuration we did not try was severely uncoordinated (full rudder), and I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experienced different results in a more aggressive power-off slip-to-land scenario.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Good to know. Perhaps I should take Harold (my biennial review pilot) up again and do some more. After the usual power on/off stalls he suggested we try power off as dirty as possible. We were at 1510+ lbs. weight and my memory is that the A5 rolled to the right, quickly corrected with rudder and elevator. Being on the old side and new pilot side, I tend to be very skittish of getting too close to the "edge" and my memory can be biased with fear.
  5. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 59 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    The aircraft is placarded with “no intentional spins”. I’d argue that adding in rudder and for sure full rudder and stalling the plane is an attempt at an intentional spin. The aircraft is spin resistant to aggravated control inputs such as these in entries to stalls and it was tested to the letter of the regulation ( 14 CFR 23.221). However, there is a reason the FAA requires it be placarded that way. It’s very prescriptive test and you could do something in such a way that wasn’t tested. That said I’ve done a good chunk of the spin resistance test matrix and the aircraft doesn’t do any thing stupid but it doesn’t mean you can’t figure out a way to make it do something stupid. So please heed the placards and leave the test flying to the professionals who plan, risk reduce and methodically approach these conditions in a build up fashion analyzing the data along the way to be as safe as possible.