1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Need help with getting on and off the beach

Hello everyone,

I am flying to Canada in July to spend a couple of months. My house is on a sand beach with a pretty gradual decline under water. I am concerned that the wheels down will dig into the under-surface sand and get stuck. Has anyone had experience with raising the plane out of the water on wet sand? I know the dry sand will be a problem so I bought a 50 foot X 10 foot Mobi-Mat. I am more concerned with the sub surface sand. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Name:  103-0328_IMG.jpeg
Views: 731
Size:  30.1 KB
    Thanks!
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Wow! Your Canada place looks amazing!

I'm really nervous about doing a beach taxi or even a paved ramp with all of the nose gear failures I've been hearing about.

This surf dolly has a 1500 lb weight capacity - http://towsurfer.com/2017/04/pwc-beach-dollys/

Wonder if the Icon hull could rest on the supports as they are or if this could be modified to put the hull supports in the same position as the Icon trailer? You could then just temporarily beach the plane and then by hand float onto the dolly and move to a protected spot on your property.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Mutter View Post
    Wow! Your Canada place looks amazing!

I'm really nervous about doing a beach taxi or even a paved ramp with all of the nose gear failures I've been hearing about.

This surf dolly has a 1500 lb weight capacity - http://towsurfer.com/2017/04/pwc-beach-dollys/

Wonder if the Icon hull could rest on the supports as they are or if this could be modified to put the hull supports in the same position as the Icon trailer? You could then just temporarily beach the plane and then by hand float onto the dolly and move to a protected spot on your property.
    I may put MOST of the 50 foot mat under water and leave myself a 10 foot ‘Pad’ on the beach for turning the plane around. That would leave 40 feet under water for the wheels to climb-up on top of. I am a bit nervous as well about over stressing the
    gear. The Mobi-Mats are expensive (made in France) but the quality is incredible. They sink under water and are anchored with 20 inch galvanized ‘staples’ that dig into the sand.

BTW, Anyone wanting to visit Canada Lakes are welcome! Just bring your Icon and beer money. My 150 year old house has 6 bedrooms!
    Name:  102-0247_IMG.jpeg
Views: 723
Size:  33.0 KB
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    View from the Lake…
    Attachment 230