1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

ICON Announces 4-Blade Lightweight Propeller, Special Ownership Program

ICON Aircraft, maker of the revolutionary ICON A5 Light Sport Aircraft, is reaffirming its dedication to improving the customer experience, fostering company growth, and prioritizing safety. The Company unveiled several new product features and initiatives during the first day of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2023 as part of its continued efforts to expand the accessibility of flying and drive innovation within the Light Sport Aircraft segment.

Name:  Astra_Red_A5_Static.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  158.4 KB

Enhancing the Customer Experience

ICON Aircraft announced today that a new 4-blade lightweight propeller is available as an upgrade on a new A5 and can also be retrofited on previous model years. Weighing approximately eight pounds less than the previous version, the new propeller significantly improves takeoff distance by 10-12 percent, thereby increasing the versatility and safety of the aircraft.

New Astra Red design

Name:  Astra-Red_ICONA5_Web.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  537.3 KB
    There are now seven different livery designs for the A5, allowing customers to personalize their aircraft to their unique tastes and preferences. Customization also extends to the avionics configurations for the A5, where adoption of the Garmin G3X Touch flight display with autopilot has been exceptionally strong, demonstrating the ICON Owner Community’s desire for state-of-the-art technology.

Company Growth

ICON Aircraft continues to work closely with the FAA on Type Certification for the A5, which is anticipated before the end of 2023. Once complete, ICON will be able to start fulfilling its backlog of international orders for the Type Certified A5. The Company recently completed the required noise test for Type Certification, which was one of the final remaining steps in the process.

“We are close to the finish line with type certification, which will help fuel ICON’s growth,” said Jerry Meyer, CEO of ICON Aircraft. “International expansion remains a key strategy for our business plan. There are six type-certified planes scheduled to be delivered late this year. We have solidified agreements with distributors in South Korea and Japan and are actively pursuing others in Europe, Australia, South America, and Southeast Asia. Once Type Certification is complete, we anticipate that 25-30 percent of sales will be from outside of the U.S.”

Safety

As ICON continues to expand in North America and around the globe, safety remains a priority. Flight Training at ICON Flight Centers in Tampa, FL, and Northern California is open to the public and both locations also conduct factory training for new owners. The Company also coordinates with dozens of ICON Authorized Flight Instructors across the U.S. to conduct transition training and keep owners current and proficient in their local areas. In addition, this year the Company has seen growing interest in the A5 for both seaplane and traditional flight schools across the U.S.

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2023 Ownership Program

ICON Aircraft has produced 192 aircraft to date and noted that production positions are filled through March of 2024. However, for customers who are seeking immediate delivery, there is good news. The Company has set aside eight production slots specifically for a special ownership program during the week of EAA AirVenture 2023. The program includes a complimentary upgrade to the new 4-blade propeller as well as several other popular features, and is valued at nearly $30,000 in savings. With only eight production slots available this fall, prospective owners are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity.

OSH 2023 Ownership Package:

• New 4 Blade Lightweight Propeller
    • Garmin Autopilot included
    • Signature livery design (4 color options)
    • 1-year subscription to SiriusXM Weather
    • Package value: $29,500

All it takes is:

• A signed ICON A5 Deposit Form
    • $20,000 deposit via credit card (accepted at our booth or via phone)

ICON’s exclusive ownership program is available for the week of EAA AirVenture 2023, ending July 31. The deposit is fully refundable until August 11, 2023 and there are 8 production positions available in September and October 2023 for fall closing and delivery.

If you’re ready to take flight in your ICON A5, reach out to a member of our sales team here to learn more and take advantage of this promotion.
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 58 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    I am extremely curious how they were able to take the current 3 blade propeller assembly (Sensenich 3BOR5-L68C) that weighs 9 lb and replace it with a 4 blades propeller assembly that is “approximately 8 lb lighter”. That is a 89% reduction in weight. This doesn’t pass the sniff check with me.

For what it’s worth the entire propeller, nose cone, and aluminum spacer assembly is only 15.5 lb. The spinner is already carbon, and making a spool (spacer) out of carbon fiber is not going to be 89% lighter

here is the documented weight from the Sensenich Manual.

Edit I can’t get the screen shot to show up it’s in this link (page 9)…

https://www.sensenich.com/wp-content...2018-10-02.pdf
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yeah that seems light. Mandy just confirmed it will be $6000.
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    This is the new prop manufacturer:

https://aircraft.e-props.fr/light_prop.php

Carbon propellers with a titanium edge!

I have not come across any photos yet installed on an ICON other than this still from an Instagram video.

Name:  IMG_4672.jpeg
Views: 750
Size:  52.7 KB
  5. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 58 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    I have done a little digging here now that I know the manufacturer of the prop. There is a quite a contingent of propeller makers in France. I was not aware of this manufacturer but had flown a prop from Duc Helices (a French company) back in 2016 that had a good performance (not better than Sensenich) but wasn't any lighter than the Sensenich and looks a bit weird didn't match the brand well. As eventually was determined not worth the switch. E-props was around back in 2016 but didn't appear to have any ASTM compliant propellers back then. They were very heavy into para motor and ultralight propellers design. It appears they didn't achieve EASA certification until March 2023 (only a few months ago). It looks like they first declared compliance to F2506-13 in April of 2021. So pretty recently.

Anyway Duc Helices has similar construction technique as E-Props which is a two part tool Resin Transfer Molding (RTM), heating and compression process. However Duc Helices did not get so bold as to make the extension out of carbon in the process as E-prop has now done. Duc still used aluminum as the extension therefore not a significant weight reduction.

So how did they get to a 8 lb reduction from the current Sensenich prop with saber extension? They swapped out the 5 lb Saber Manufacturing aluminum prop extension to composite extension and switched to a very much smaller blade, and also a composite hub. So they dropped the combined propeller assembly weight by ~50%

I'm not usually a fan of putting a lot of torque or load through a 90 deg bend in carbon layup, but E-props is declaring compliance to ASTM F2506-13 and EASA certification. So its legit from a paperwork stand point. Good for ICON for finding a manufacturer that can drop the weight so substantially. Personally I don't care for the look, but the performance weight wise is pretty impressive. I'm a little sketched out by a composite extension but again they are declaring compliance so they definitely did quite a bit of testing and I have to presume they have it figured out. The world is always advancing tough to always keep up.
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for the research! Some more pictures from Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvNgf...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Name:  IMG_4688.png
Views: 729
Size:  3.19 MB
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    The existing 3 Blade Alum Hub is very bulky. I look forward to hearing feedback from owners using the new prop.
  8. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 58 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gadbois View Post
    The existing 3 Blade Alum Hub is very bulky. I look forward to hearing feedback from owners using the new prop.
    It's pretty efficiently designed. The only thing I would change about it is the 5 Axis machining to make it. Sensenich makes a slightly lighter weight hub that is more square sides that could be done in a typically 3 Axis machine. Way less expensive to machine.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    The 8 pounds is likely not a real meaningful impact, either in W&B or useful load (I guess you can eat a big dinner the night before now if you were close to max gross?). The change is moving more air, which is why I have been considering changing to an E-LSA and doing a big bore Rotax kit (+15% to 20% HP). I won't detail the insurance company discussion saga here relating to trying to do that, just suffice it to say there isn't such an option if you want hull insurance in this market where people keep crashing and killing themselves and others in A5s.

Did anyone else immediately wonder how a company that used a three blade propeller (inexplicably) as its logo goes to a four blade?! I never understood that logo to begin with - it has absolutely nothing to do with being a sporty seaplane with folding wings, but whatever. Just another Icon conundrum.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Adolfsson View Post
    Mandy just confirmed it will be $6000.
    This sounds completely illogical and unrealistic to me. I would believe $6,000 as an ADD-ON/additional cost vs. the three blade, for a new buyer on a new plane, but to get this as a retrofit post-acquisition I suspect is going to be $20,000+. I'd love to be wrong, but nobody on this forum is getting a new plane in the future, we have existing planes to add this to. I fear in the communication, that this is not being properly explained and quoted. Again, if I'm wrong I'm, place my order today on my Visa please at $6,000 and send it to T82 and I'll get it put on immediately.
  11. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Silverstein View Post
    This sounds completely illogical and unrealistic to me. I would believe $6,000 as an ADD-ON/additional cost vs. the three blade, for a new buyer on a new plane, but to get this as a retrofit post-acquisition I suspect is going to be $20,000+. I'd love to be wrong, but nobody on this forum is getting a new plane in the future, we have existing planes to add this to
    Looking at E-Props website, a similar sized four blade propeller and spinner is ~2700.00€ so $6000 USD seems in the ballpark.
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Adolfsson View Post
    Looking at E-Props website, a similar sized four blade propeller and spinner is ~2700.00€ so $6000 USD seems in the ballpark.
    At that price it should be instantly the standard model then! I already asked for a quote to put in an order, so I'll confirm either way as soon as I have a real number.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Silverstein View Post
    At that price it should be instantly the standard model then! I already asked for a quote to put in an order, so I'll confirm either way as soon as I have a real number.
    I take delivery of my Icon in September. I inquired about the 4 blade prop and was told it was too late to add to my build but I could schedule now to have it retrofitted. I was told $6000 as well.
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by James Lucas View Post
    I take delivery of my Icon in September. I inquired about the 4 blade prop and was told it was too late to add to my build but I could schedule now to have it retrofitted. I was told $6000 as well.
    I hope that's what it really is then, that would be amazing!
  15. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    FYI reading the latest Aviation Consumer magazine, I just learned that the 2025 Carbon Cub UL (Rotax 916is) will feature an E-Prop four blade prop as well (which they claim is 9 pounds lighter including hub and spinner), so it looks like we are in good company!

Name:  CubCrafters-Carbon-Cub-UL-J-Bliss-5.jpg.optimal.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  750.7 KB
  16. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Efficient does not translate to pretty. It looks like 4 chopsticks! I am most excited about the word 'Quieter' though. Looking forward to getting before and after db comparisons.
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gadbois View Post
    Efficient does not translate to pretty. It looks like 4 chopsticks! I am most excited about the word 'Quieter' though. Looking forward to getting before and after db comparisons.
    That would be nice, though there will still be a piston engine trying to shake itself apart at 5,000 rpm just behind your head, I'm not sure how much the prop noise is the real issue by comparison, but I'll hold out some hope for now.
  18. Username Protected

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    My new one is supposed to come with this so we shall see in august
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    For the record, E-Prop is the big player in the Paramotor world. I use to fly the butt fan and had a 4-blade E-Prop on my Flattop Paramotor. The only thing I can tell you is if some poor Paramotor guy just touched his prop to his cage (something that is common) the E-Prop just explodes. But I guess our Sensenich does the same thing as was the case when the booth-tooth speaker went through one.
  20. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 58 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Brett, That blue tooth speaker would have taken out any propeller other than maybe solid aluminum. That said the aluminum would be really, really damaged. The sensenich prop is extremely well engineered and built, Something spinning at about 2300 RPM will take quite a load if hit with anything of serious subtance like a speake.
  21. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Icon Employee
    Hi Gabriel and thanks for your comment. I love the engagement I'm seeing on this forum!

I agree that the 4 blade propeller as well as the design of the blades themselves is disarming at first, but I'm not going to let our company logo (which I love and isn't going anywhere) dictate the company's product innovation strategy or the opportunity to improve your experience as an A5 owner.

Believe me, this decision was not made lightly. We considered other 3 blade propellers and even a 5 blade option, but none were able to deliver on our design objectives. 8 lbs, a shorter takeoff roll, and a notably quieter cabin experience were worth the tradeoff, in my opinion, especially because you can't see how many blades are on it while flying anyway.

And for what it's worth, we will continue to offer the 3 blade Sensenich as the base option for those that prefer that look or that brand.
  22. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Meyer View Post
    We considered other 3 blade propellers and even a 5 blade option, but none were able to deliver on our design objectives.
    I think it was Piper who recently tried a nine (9!) blade prop on a Mirage maybe?! I love that there was meaningful experimentation and testing to get not just to a better option, but to the best, better option. Kudos and thanks. I'm just waiting for the email with the final pricing and timing

(now that the engineers are free again, could we maybe have a pitot tube cover that can stay on the pitot tube...!)
  23. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    You had me at "...and a notably quieter cabin experience were worth the tradeoff"
    I'M SOLD!!
  24. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    They latest update from Icon is deliveries will likely start in October and the pricing is supposed to be about $6,000 (est.). Hopefully more to come even sooner than that...
  25. Username Protected

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just stayed at T82 on my way back with sn 198. Great town love the hangar hotel
  26. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Congrats on the new aircraft SN!
  27. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Curtis View Post
    I just stayed at T82 on my way back with sn 198. Great town love the hangar hotel
    It is pretty cool. Was the diner open while you were there? I hope you got to go into town as well while you were here. The TAC Aero maintenance team is finishing up their maintenance training I think today (our plane is their teaching model for the process, hopefully when they put it all back together there aren't extra parts!). I'll be thrilled to have them on board now.