1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Instrument Cluster getting Power but Not Working

Hi All,

My engine gauges are getting power and lighting up, but they are not giving any readings. Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks!
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 36 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yes, I have had this happen once when I took too long, going through the checklist with the switch

3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 18 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Sounds like just the instrumentation lighting is working, which is separate from the actual instrumentation. My only thoughts are possibly a fuse?

QUOTE=Doug Clark;1025]Hi All,

My engine gauges are getting power and lighting up, but they are not giving any readings. Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
  4. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 59 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    The instrument lighting and gauge needle power are on the same circuit (inst 1) so if they are lighting up its not that. The signals to the engine gauges are driven by the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). If you aren't getting signal but getting lighting on those gauges (engine oil temp and pressure, coolant temp, RPM) there is either the DAC is having troubles (seriously doubt it) or there is a connection problem to the DAC or instrument panel harness disconnect (more likely).
    Questions:
    1) Are you in Lane A, Lane B or Both on the Key Switch? Engine Gauges are run via the Engine ECU CAN (Controller Area Network) digital data bus which is decoded by the the DAC (get it? Digital to Analog converter...) if you don't have the Engine's ECU powered the gauges don't do anything.
    Lane A will have Coolant Temp and RPM 1, Lane B will have Oil Temp,Oil Pressure and RPM 2 only, Both will have everything.
    2) Did someone recently do maintenance to the DAC or instrument panel recently?
    3) Are you able to start the engine? If so the DAC is getting power. You literally can't start the engine without the DAC working.
    4) How's Inst. 3 fuse looking?

https://www.iconaircraft.com/mainten...tml#wwID0EO4KQ
    https://www.iconaircraft.com/mainten...tml#wwID0EUALQ
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon Employee

Gary-James Knight

I have seen this if the operator performs an improper startup or run up.

Tough to identify/troubleshoot without a video though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Clark View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks!
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you all for your help and info! It ended up being a simple fix: the battery needed more charge. The plane had been sitting for awhile and the voltage dropped below 12V. Once I charged the battery back up, everything was back to normal.

Thanks
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 18 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Glad it worked out, and the mystery is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Clark View Post
    Thank you all for your help and info! It ended up being a simple fix: the battery needed more charge. The plane had been sitting for awhile and the voltage dropped below 12V. Once I charged the battery back up, everything was back to normal.

Thanks
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    After being on an Icon IAFI safety call last week I guess this is happening with the 3X Fleet. For weight and/or engineering reasons the 3X have a 12 amp battery vs a 24 amp battery found on the gen one A5 fleet. A lower voltage is possibly causing "cascading" electrical events with the panel if the aircraft has not been used for a while. We've had the entire panel go out or sometimes just the fuel gauge.
    I don't have a definition for what "a while" is but we are keeping a trickle charger on our 3X A5 in Naples. No issues since that has been our standard practice.
    Also, these batteries seem to have a two year life either way so we ordered another one.
  9. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 59 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    The G3X fleet have the RG12-LSA Concorde battery which is a smaller much lighter battery than the RG25. A long time ago circa 2016 ICON did additional flutter tests to justify the removal of 4 lb rudder counter balance weight. It just so happens that the moment due to the weight reduction in the battery at the nose arm is about the same as the weight reduction in tail arm with the rudder counter balance weight. The two have to be done together or the CG causes a little bit of utility issue. The change allows the aircraft to stay below its maximum empty weight of 1088lb with the G3X AP system installed to meet ASTM standards. So essentially ICON traded the weight for the autopilot servos and other equipment. There have always be a mysterious battery eating issue in the A5. As it has been noted that those batteries only last 2 years. I have never understood why, after significant attempts to identify it. I have gotten 7-8 years+ out of and exact same battery technology (Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM)) just different brand in other planes.