1. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Ipad mount

anyone have an ipad mini mount for icon a5 they particularly like?
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I like the flex suction mount from MYGOFLIGHT with 12.9 and iPad mini cases... Fits perfectly on the Carbon triangle next to the Right seat knee pad.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Do you have a picture, I can't visualize where the suction cup is attached (right seat knee pad?)
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    See picture: It fits perfectly there.Name:  Interior.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  170.6 KB
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I've had success with RAM Mounts. Their suction cups grip exceptionally well. Details below:

RAM-B-224-1U RAM 3.3" DIA. SUCT CUP W 1" BALL $21.49
    RAM-HOL-UN8BU RAM X-GRIP UNIVERSAL TABLET HLDER W 1" BALL $45.99
    RAM-B-201U-A UNPKG RAM DBL SOCKET ARM B BALL A LENGTH $15.99

As for placement, we've found the left window works well (when the windows are installed). On the left-hand of the windshield is a good substitute when flying windows-out.

Name:  PXL_20221216_234312552.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  1.15 MBName:  PXL_20221217_004157606.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  2.69 MB
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Hey Michel, thanks that does look like a good spot
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

This topic I know well

This is an issue I have spent a LOT of time (and money) playing with. First off, I am a ForeFlight junkie, 1 iPad isn't enough, I need 2. The left window with a double suction cup mount is good for when windows are in. Go double suction, as I learned the hard way once. Was flying along over Virginia at 5500' when my single suction cup gave up, iPad dropped and on the way down hit the starter key and bumped it to Lane B only. Engine didn't stop, but it was a close one. After that episode, I worked up a couple different solutions. I also think the Garmin 796 is useless compared to an iPad and ForeFlight, so I mount an iPad mini over the 796. When windows are out, I came up with a couple of other solutions. Take a look...
    Attachments Attachments   
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    nice work, I'll probably use garmin and leave screen on traffic only, I'm looking at a pivot mount , just trying to figure out of the 3 single suction cup mounts which one would work best above pass left knee. the standard, shorty, or low profile. The shorty would probably also work best if I elect to put mount directly on garmin screen
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Epic drop from the windshield with the windows out, love it!

@Brett What are those switches for located above your iPad mini?
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Hi Bryon, those switches are my take-off and landing checklists. Not wired to anything, just switches to signify it was done. Take-off on top, landing on bottom. I couldn't imagine flying without it. Here is a screen shot from a recent video to give you a little bit better look at it. Here is where to buy... https://www.missionarybushpilot.com/...-checklist-box
    Attachments Attachments   
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    That's awesome! I'll definitely look into this for our ICON A5. Thank you!!
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Brett, Ipad mini is mounted over garmin? looks like you found a way to mount it in place of garmin. How is ipad mini attached to 796?
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Its a $15 fix. I bought these double sided suction cup mounts (they are made for kids to stick the soap bar on the side of a bathtub.) I stick it to the Garmin's face (fits perfect, then stick the iPad mini to the suction cups. This too fits great. The one flaw, the Garmin produces heat, and heats up the iPad, and it will eventually give you a "getting too hot" message. I added to my checklist after I start-up "Turn Off Garmin." This solved it. Just hold the black button on the left side of the Garmin for 3 seconds, it powers off. Here is the suction cups, I have been using it for 3 years, never once dropped the iPad. You do need to wet it periodically. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attachments Attachments  
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    cool, thanks for info
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Instructor/Mentor
    PIVOT makes the best cases in the world. https://pivotcase.com/

The case protects your iPad and it's built for good cooling. The screen cover clicks easily on and off, and then you just click the case right onto the mount. The single suction cup is rock solid. I've used it on some very long A5 cross country flights.

I'm biased...my buddy is the main sales rep for all airline and military contracts. His customers include hundreds of airlines and military squadrons. It's not because he's an amazing salesman. The product sells itself.
  16. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett West View Post
    Its a $15 fix. I bought these double sided suction cup mounts (they are made for kids to stick the soap bar on the side of a bathtub.) I stick it to the Garmin's face (fits perfect, then stick the iPad mini to the suction cups. This too fits great. The one flaw, the Garmin produces heat, and heats up the iPad, and it will eventually give you a "getting too hot" message. I added to my checklist after I start-up "Turn Off Garmin." This solved it. Just hold the black button on the left side of the Garmin for 3 seconds, it powers off. Here is the suction cups, I have been using it for 3 years, never once dropped the iPad. You do need to wet it periodically. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Brett, does Turning off the Garmin then force you to enter frequencies manually?
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gadbois View Post
    Brett, does Turning off the Garmin then force you to enter frequencies manually?
    I'm not Brett, but...yes. If the Garmin is off there's no way to look up an airport and tap on the frequency to load it into the radio's standby.
    When I started flying the A5, I spent some time with the Garmin plugged into the desktop stand so I could really understand how it works - at least to the level needed for the kind of flying I typically do in the A5. Once I had my head wrapped around it, I found myself using it more than Foreflight when doing local flights - particularly for the ability to push frequencies directly to the radio. I still have FF running on my phone and suction-cup mounted to the windscreen in front of the pilot-side air vent, but that's mostly for flight track recording and checklists [which I've set up in FF as well].
    On longer flights I'll add an iPad Mini with a simple kneeboard strap. I find FF easier for route planning and moving around the map, then I'll just make any changes on the Garmin manually.
  18. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Use what ya already got

A solution is to wait until your right dash hood is removed during annual inspection (if you don't want to mess with taking it off yourself). Then take the flat plate mount that came with your 796 and use STRONG double-sided adhesive tape to affix the flat part of the mount to the now-exposed flat part of the lower right dash area (which is usually hidden). There is about a 3/16" - 1/4" gap between the lower dash and the upper dash which perfectly accommodates this extra piece that Garmin has supplied to each of us for use in another aircraft. When the upper dash is put back in place you will have a perfect little RAM ball mount that sticks out in front of the right dash area. Plenty of iPad RAM mounted holders are available on Amazon or elsewhere.