1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

New SB on rudder pin torque

So we got bored last night and decided to comply with the latest service bulletin on checking the rudder pin torque. Mine appears to be undertorqued.

As a side note: sure would have been nice if Icon already had the lighter rudders available (or a procedure to lighten the existing rudder) since we’ve gotta pull the rudder off to perform this SB anyway.
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 56 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    I don't think they produce the counter weighted rudder anymore (not a 100% on that) and therefore build nothing but the light weight rudder. That doesn't mean they have any available, rudders don't need to be replaced typically so I bet they don't have any in spares and the ones they have built or are building are going to new production planes so they would be taking from the production line. I suspect they also didn't immediately want to take the time to put together the engineering (MRA) that covers all the changes without knowing what the take rate is (it has to be worth it for them). An MRA is like an STC it cost money to produce the parts along with the paper. You have to pay someone to develop the paperwork or in some cases take them off of another project.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yuko states about $4K to transition an A5 to the lighter rudder and battery - parts & labor. She wants to know if I am interested. Sounds like they're willing ...
  4. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 56 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Yes it does, Like I said they are probably trying to figure out the "take rate" I had to do these calculations for several options. Some places call it a "business case".