1. Username Protected

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Best headset?

I love the lightspeed zulu in everything I fly but it is loud in an icon. What do people use that keeps up with the frequency of this engine and wind noise ?
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 56 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    I have tried every single mainstream ANR and CEP headset out there in the A5. The best is a Bose A20 IMHO. I didn't think the lightspeed could hang ( have tried both the Zulu and Tango when that was a thing). Neither could the DC X. The Clarity Aloft isn't bad windows in but I thought the lack of cups didn't cut the pressure pulses with the windows out. The best combo is an ANR headset with CEP (in ear) as well. I have much louder airplane (Pitts Special) then the A5 and the only thing that cuts it was a Helmet with ANR and CEP the clarity aloft was ok but not something I would cross country in just quick aerobatic hops only.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Bret, just wondering what CEP setup you use. Over 40 years of jet noise has not been kind to my hearing. I use the A20 myself - but I like your idea of CEP in addition. Just don't know which way to go with that.
  4. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 56 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Hi Michael, I have taken my old navy helmet (HGU-86) and I took apart a lightspeed Zulu 2 I found a spot on the circuit boards where I could solder in leads that I then soldered to a 8 mm stereo jack that I mounted into the helmet. I then mounted the microphone to the helmet and finally bought a stereo CEP from CEP USA and plug it into the the 8mm jack. The is the best combo I have ever tried. Great quality sound and ANR on the light speed cuts the low freq and the CEP’s cut the mod to high freq. but with the CEP I still get great sound into the ear without turning up the volume.

I have photos of what I did with details but it’s not for the soldering faint of heart. I have also tried it on a Delta Zulu but they changed the design dramatically on the circuit boards and I couldn’t find a spot that would provide good sound.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Here is my mickey mouse way of helping with the noise and headset clarity for now until something better comes along. I use the A20's as well but I put a single ear plug on my window side ear only. If I am sitting on the left side I also reverse the headset so that the mic boom is on the inboard side of me since the mic picks up air and prop noise if you lean to the left slightly with the windows out. Sitting on the right seat your mic boom is already on the left side so one earplug in my right ear and that seems to help reduce prop noise but also helps with noise fatigue if I am doing a lot of flight training.