1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Tug/tow unit options

I am looking for a tug/tow unit for A5s that have actually been used successfully with the A5. I have a 200' long boat ramp with a 5 degree slope and a parking pad at the bottom that I need to bring my A5 up after shutdown. Because of the parking pad I also need to be able to make a 90 degree turn onto the sloped ramp. I know, I know, just power up the ramp - but I am trying to be a good neighbor and not be at a high power setting any longer than is necessary to get the plane out of the water. My other option is a hydraulic winch at the top of the ramp - but that has its own set of issues.

I have only conversed with one owner who tried a tug and his would contact the nose gear doors if any turn was attempted.

Ideas???
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I would recommend you give Mark Patey at www.besttugs.com a call. They have a fantastic product line and if theirs will not work he will know if another manufacturer will work out.

I recall seeing an Icon being moved with a Besttug. I can’t locate the file, but will forward if I find it.

Best of luck with the search.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks George!
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    After researching with several tug manufacturers it appears that Besttugs.com is the only manufacturer whose tug has been tested and is approved by Icon - with some limitations. It seems that engineering says you can not use a tug on the A5 that simply pulls the aircraft around by cradling the nose wheel. The nose wheel is not approved to be pulled on - any pulling forces must be made by using the bow ring. THAT fact basically makes any of the low-profile remote-control tugs unacceptable (they don't attach to the bow ring). Besttugs further state that for turning their tug is limited to about 15 degrees offset from the airplane's longitudinal axis - so as to not contact the nose gear doors. DJproducts is currently researching as to whether their similar (but less expensive) tug will work with the A5. Their drive wheels are larger than Besttugs - so I would expect an even more limited turn with their unit.
  5. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    For any interested in buying a tug: After several months of discussion with both BestTugs and DJ Products I finally ended up buying a DJ Products unit. I had them custom make a nose wheel chock for the A5. I have make a few tweaks since I received it and now I am able to turn the tug up to about 45 degrees off airplane centerline before the wheels of the tug contact the nose wheel doors. It turned out that the drive wheels on DJ. Products are a bit smaller than Best Tugs and that was a big factor in my decision to go with DJ Products - along with the fact that it would be over $2K less expensive. Anyway, if you're interested in buying a tug and want some pro/cons info let me know.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    A few pics:Name:  tug.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  1.41 MBName:  tug2.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  1.30 MBName:  tug3.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  818.0 KB
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Himes View Post
    The nose wheel is not approved to be pulled on - any pulling forces must be made by using the bow ring.
    Michael - thanks for the great PIREP. How do you ensure the pulling force is coming through the bow ring strap and not the nose landing gear? When reversing, is the force through the NLG?

Would be nice if Icon would approve the Icon for NLG towing.
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I have found the only way is to ensure the bow strap is always tight. That means stopping, turning the tug (while loosening strap), retightening strap, and then proceeding. When taking out the tug turned angle you can tighten the strap while the tug is slowly moving. It is certainly not as fluid as I would wish but I have a 100’ ramp with a 15 degree incline and I think my neighbors appreciate it that I don’t “power up” the ramp quite as often since I got the tug.
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I was told by Best Tugs that Icon engineering told them pushing on on the gear (to back the airplane) is okay - since that’s basically the same forces the gear takes in any runway landing. But yes, you must pull only by using the bow ring.