1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

"Engine" annunciator

Okay, on two separate occasions I have had an "engine" annunciator illuminate just after take off. All engine indications were normal - or as least as much as you can tell from the three round-dial engine instruments. Even though the POH states that you can fly for up to 10 hours in this state I immediately landed, shutdown, and performed another engine start and runup - which cleared the annunciator each time.

Anybody else had this happen? IF I were near a station that could hook up and read out the engine history I would - but the nearest is a bit of a hop away.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Michael,

I have had the the ENGINE CAS illuminate a few times but always transitory (except for once when it latched on and I had the KTPF service center debug it). Without reading the logs you are unlikely to figure out the cause.

It may be worthwhile to get the cables/software needed for log file extraction. I am going to look into it. It seems that BUDS Level 1 (viewer) are for owners.

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/s-men...460-logextract

St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  3. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 56 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Without analyzing your BUDS or DAC data I can’t tell you exactly the reason this has happened but I can tell you the most common reasons:

1) EGT sensor has failed which causes the EGT value to go to 1090 deg C and flat line. You can’t read that without the BUDS, DAC, or G3X system. This is not going to reset on subsequent starts it will always come back.

2) Fuel Pressure high or low (you have no real way to tell). If it’s at full power and it’s hot outside and you are running mogas is likely low but not excessively low. You see the Land Aircraft light with that it’s really low (this is all explained in the POH). If you get it when you pull the throttle back to idle for a descent but it will go away when you add throttle it’s likely fairly high and the fuel filter needs changing. You can only determine this by downloading the DAC data. The Rotax BUDS data is of no use as Rotax doesn’t monitor fuel pressure data it assumes it being delivered at 43.5 +\- 3 psi (3.0 +\- .2 bar) only ICON can interpret this data nobody else has the tools.

3) water coolant over temp. Likely on a hot day if you shut down or have been taxiing around for a bit and start right back up the water will sit in the cylinder head and on the #4 cylinder where the Coolant temp sensor is and will temporarily be over temp of 248 deg F (the red line on your coolant temp gauge). If you get the coolant temp back down below 248 and restart the ECU it will go away. But there is a minor inspection required by rotax. There is a more invasive inspection if you go about 275f for any amount of time or above 248f for more than 30 min. This can be determined by the BUDS, DAC, or G3X data.

hope that helps.

Bret
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    My "Engine" annunciator ended up being an EGT probe whose connector came out of its bracket on the engine and was laying on the exhaust manifold. The heat melted the insulation and let the shield wire ground out.