1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Lightbulb The "Go Fast" Flow

I thought I'd share something I learned from my A5 instructor, Scott "Spike" Thomas, during A5 transition training back in 2016 (wow, has it really been that long!).
    Like any amphibious aircraft, the A5 operating environment can change many times during a flying session; runway takeoffs, water takeoffs, beaching, ramping etc. Also, some operations, especially on the water, might require a quick engine start and maneuvering, with the potential to get distracted and overlook something critical like retracting the water rudder or raising the gear.
    Spike taught what he called the "Go Fast" flow, to be used prior to takeoff or step taxi (in other words, are you gonna Go Fast? Then run this flow):

• Canopy locked
    • Headsets on
    • Seatbelts fastened
    • Annunciator panel lights all out
    • Gear configured
    • Trim set
    • Flaps configured
    • Water rudder up

It has a really nice flow from overhead, down and then right across the panel, takes maybe 5-10 seconds to complete and is a quick backup/double-check to be sure some key elements weren't missed from the normal checklists.
    While this is NOT an official ICON checklist, I continue to use it religiously to this day and hope others might find it helpful.

You can see me run the flow here:
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I do something very similar Tony, I call it the "shit that will kill you" list.