1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Exclamation SD: Slipping Autopilot Bridle Cable Clamps (SD-111521-B)

Slipping Autopilot Bridle Cable Clamps (SD-111521-B)

ICON aircraft has become aware that it is possible for the G3X Autopilot-equipped aircraft to experience slippage and/or rotation of the autopilot servo-to control cable bridle clamps. Loosening and misalignment of the noted hardware can lead to slack in the flight controls with the autopilot engaged, creating the possibility of flight control jams in pitch and/or roll. All affected aircraft must have the autopilot system disabled until further notice from ICON Aircraft.

DATE ISSUED: 11/15/2021
    DATE EFFECTIVE: 11/15/2021
    S/N: 00139-00149
    TIME OF COMPLIANCE: Complete before next flight

https://www.iconaircraft.com/wp-cont...D-111521-B.pdf
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just joined this community website today as I was tipped off by another owner about its existence.
    I think I met you in the FBO in Gainesville last year? Does that ring a bell? I own #0058 and recently bought the G3X #0148. What a cluster f^&k that has been. Did you sell your old Icon? Did you decide to remove your servos and downgrade your new G3X version? Im asking for my money back on my new G3X.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett West View Post
    I just joined this community website today as I was tipped off by another owner about its existence. I think I met you in the FBO in Gainesville last year? Does that ring a bell? I own #0058 and recently bought the G3X #0148. What a cluster f^&k that has been. Did you sell your old Icon? Did you decide to remove your servos and downgrade your new G3X version? Im asking for my money back on my new G3X.
    Welcome Brett nice to hear from you! You are early to the party, I just launched the site yesterday but backdated some of the posts so they appeared chronological.

I sold my old Icon #111 over the summer to Jay Curtis in Gainesville. He is going to re-register it as N2BA and I am moving N1BA over to #140 (my new G3X). I had my servos removed a few weeks back, don't think it is an option to not comply with the Safety Directive under LSA regulations (not fully sure). Between the engine failure and now loosing the AP for 4-6 months I agree it is a bit of a buzz kill, but still loving it as my Sunday flying go-no-where plane.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Marcus, I still own my original Icon (#058.) Who needs 2 Icons without an auto-pilot? Thats why I am asking for my money back on the G3X. I predicated the money back request with "I will be first buyer when/if they come up with a new workable auto-pilot plan." They told me at earliest it will be June 2022. Based on previous time line predictions and reality, June 2022 equates to about that tells 2025 until resolved. Ugh! What are they telling you?
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett West View Post
    What are they telling you?
    Q1 2022 was the last I heard but June could be realistic. Hopefully it won't slip much later, they are not reinventing the wheel.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    No, they are not reinventing the wheel, which is why I am bewildered at (what they told me) was going to be June 2022. I see Bret D is a member on this forum, would really like his unvarnished opinion of this mess. Bret is the one who invented the G3X Icon from the beginning. Bret is no longer with Icon (sadly) which may be part of the reason we are in this pickle? Bret?? BTW, Bret and I had a whole debate on who spells the name properly. He won, his is more efficient.
  7. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 56 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Hi Brett

A safety Directive holds the same weight as an AD. To maintain airworthiness you must comply in accordance with 14 CFR 91.327. I really don't know what's going on here. I left at the beginning of June before the first production version flew, clearly they found problems with the production version and pulled the design back (which is the safest thing to do if you're not a 100% on a flight control related topic). We flew a prototype in an experimental plane for about a year with no issues. The design is not novel and in may ways its the same as most cable driven flight controlled aircraft out there. Dynon and Garmin both show these type of design in their installation manuals. So does STEC, Bendixking, and Trutrak. There wasn't any reinventing the wheel. Sorry I can't help on this topic.