1. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Wing/tail warning light

Wanted to see what you experienced owners have to say about the wing/tail warning light. Should I expect to get Erroneous alerts from dirty sensors? How have you found the best way to keep the sensors clean so you do not get bogus warnings?
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 36 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I'm at 450 hours and have never had an issue. I do keep the aircraft clean and hangared though.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Wonder if it is more a thing with ones going on and off saltwater.
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 36 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Could very well be. Saltwater is not friendly to microswitches. The Tampa (Peter O' Knight) guys will probably have lots of advice for how to coat/protect/rinse your sensitive bits since most of their training hours are in saltwater.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yep, thinking that too so I just shot Andy a note.
  6. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 59 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    They are basic micro switches that are environmentally sealed. There are 8 switches. 2 on the left wing latch, two right wing latch, two each side of the tail. They all have to be satisfied or the wing secure tail light remains illuminated. You can actuate each switch and determine which one is not working properly. I haven't found corrosion to be an issue but the florida Bubbas can speak the best to that. Its more likely a slight mis rigged switch.
    You can trouble shoot which one pretty easily by systemattically going around the plane and reaching in and pressing the switches with all other switches engaged. for example left and right wing installed and locked. Left tail tip installed and locked. Pull down on the tail lock but don't rotate do you hear a click of the switch if so insert it hear it again? If not the lock is culprit. If you hear the switching then pull the tip off and look inside the tail tube you'll see the switch. Lock the tail lock on that side and stick your finger in there until the switch click. does the light go out? if not move on to the other tail switch. Then to the wings.

Typically its the tail switches that are improperly rigged. in the nearly 6 years I worked there it was always the tail and it was never the switch just the rigging of the switch.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Awesome info! Thanks!