1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 19 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Garmin GDL battery replacement

Just had the rechargeable battery in my Garmin GDL-52 fail. I knew this would happen someday and ASSUMED that when it did the unit could run directly from ship power but just wouldn't have the internal battery as a backup. Wrong! Apparently this model (and all the GDLs?) draw too much power upon initial power up and need their internal battery for that purpose.

So my question - has anybody replaced their internal battery in a GDL unit? From what I am reading Garmin says it is not replaceable - but I have opened the unit and looks like it would be a simple replacement IF, IF I can find the replacement battery for purchase.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 38 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I bought a new one and game my old one to my old CFI who will attempt to replace the soldered battery.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 19 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Well I just got off a chat with Garmin support and I am floored! Even though I bought my GDL-52 over 4 years ago they are replacing it with a new GDL-52. They wouldn't sell a battery for it (even though it would be an easy swap) and I have not been able to find the replacement battery on eBay, Amazon, or any of the aviation retailers or battery suppliers.

The only thing I can think of is that since this model has XM built into it that Sirius XM is footing the cost of replacement to keep their XM receivers out there??? I don't think Garmin is doing it out of their own "good will".
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 9 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    That is pretty nice! Maybe Garmin knows, without saying, it was a screw up on them. I am waiting to get my GDL52 to be installed. Hope new ones fixed issue…