1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Bump in flight

Departing Heritage, PTW, last week, climbing through 2000 ft. I felt a small "bump" as if I might have hit a small bird. No bird strike in evidence, but the annunciator lit up with "engine" and "land airplane". I returned to PTW, parked and shut down the A5 and chatted with folks at the airport. Upon restart, everything seemed normal so I departed for N57 (home). There have been no indications of trouble since. The Icon folks have requested a readout of the engine system, but there are few airports locally that deal with Rotax engines. Jimmy is scheduled to do my parachute and annual in a week or so but I hate being on pins and needles waiting to see if there are real problems revealed by an engine readout. Anyone had similar issues? Anyone got any suggestions? I've even thought of getting my own readout hardware, but haven't looked into that seriously yet.
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 60 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    A "bump" in flight accompanied with Land Aircraft and Engine Light is usually the engine going into a reversion mode. This is what Rotax calls a "major fault" its more of a engine shutter than bump but I can see why you would want to call it bump. Your engine logs or DAC memory unit will have the data that says what it was. Hard to speculate what it is unless looking the Rotax BUDS data.

Typical Things that cause a Major Fault and would cause a "bump" in order of most typical.
    1) Ignition Cylinder 1/2 or 3/4 - Nominal Current Not Reached fault. This fault is fairly innocuous is fairly easily corrected using conductive grease on the coil pack spade connector leads (procedure in the ICON A5 maintenance manual)
    2) Rectifier Regulator A fails and automatic Transition to Rectifier Regulator B. "Generator Select fault"
    3) Spark plug or spark plug lead failure (most likely spark plug boot falls off) this is typically "sparks missed" major fault
    4) One of the two Manifold Air Pressure sensors fails (typically due to wire chaffing condition)
    5) One of the two Manifold Air Temperature Sensors fails. (typically due to wire chaffing condition)
    6) One of the two Crank Position Sensor Fails (typically due to wire chaffing condition)
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I would add one more to Bret's list. I had an intermittent "Land Aircraft" and "Engine" light, that then progressed to full time on warnings. It was a shorted wire in the wire pack. James Andrews found the needle in the haystack (quite literally) and fixed it, no warning lights for nearly a year now (knock on wood.) I however do not recall the bump of going into reversion mode.
    I doubt this helps, but just my experience to consider.