1. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

nose gear fuse blows

Twice now I had problem with the nose gear fuse blowing when raising gear in the water. The 1st time I just put in a new fuse, lowered gear and raised it with no issues. The 2nd time changing fuse didn't resolve problem and it blew again, put a third fuse in and left gear down , went back to ramp and taxi out of water. Found right gear door was closed. opened door, went back in water and gear came up this time. So what's going on here? Do I need an adjustment to the gear door locking system? If it happens again , will putting gear down electronically open door completely or will I have to get to ramp or shallow water and open door manually? Any other suggestions or comments on how gear doors work is appreciated.... Once back home in hangar , I did inspect doors and I could not force them closed (unless of course I activated the release lever inside gear well)
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 38 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    The next time you are on the ground, use your fingers to push-up on the black forks inside the gear well that shut the rear doors (one on each side). Dirt and corrosion may cause these doors to be difficult to close and it will be apparent when you push against the forks. Icon pros have told me this happens so I get on my back during ALL pre-flights and test both doors manually. It takes 2 minutes. If either door does not feel like it's on free bearings, something is wrong...
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I have used black forks to release doors, and they close easily when released.. The problem seems to be the other direction though, the door is closing when it should be locked open.. It seems there is a type of over-center lock to hold doors open and I put quite a bit of force to close doors and they stay open unless I use black fork, then door closes easily. So the problem is the door closing in the water somehow (maybe water can push on the black fork causing it to release the door lock and it closes?? If that were to happen does recycling the gear down send a signal to door to re-open it completely so the over-center lock engages???? or is the only way to get door open to get in water and pull it open manually.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Same here on the preflight comment,
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 38 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I know for a fact that Icon STRONGLY discourages taxying on the water wheels down faster than 4 knots... Could this be one of the reasons? Bret?
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Problem appears to be door not opening completely when gear lowered in water. On ground when i use the black fork to close door - when I release fork, the door stays closed due to binding or friction . also the spring that opens door had some corrosion. I sprayed corrosion spray on springs and had door hinges adjusted , Now when I release the black fork the springs pull door completely open and all is well. Yes this is a very good preflight check to close door manually with black fork and when you release it- make sure springs pull door fully open.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Hi Guys, I had a different, but similar issue with the nose gear and fuse a couple years ago - but in the air. Nose gear came up after takeoff but one of the doors didn't close and fuse blew. I flew over the tower and they told me back wheels were up and front still half down. Fuse was blown, so I replaced it, lowered the gear (which worked), and then brought it back up cleanly. Then decided to lower again (which worked) and landed safely. After my mechanic spoke with ICON and they changed the grease used within the nose gear assembly. I land in salt water occasionally, and do the rinse off at the end, but you REALLY need to ensure you checked the nose gear doors every flight to ensure they are freely opening and springing shut normally, otherwise you may need to get them checked or re-greased. It would also be easier for them to get stuck down (but unlocked) underwater I imagine with the added force.