1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 31 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Icon Approved (or tolerated) Gear Advisor & LIDAR

Hello All,

I would LOVE to have a gear advisor on my Icon. Something that can properly see the aircraft approaching a surface (Tarmac, grass or water) and be able to tell me if my gear is properly positioned for the landing. The same device could "Call-out" altitude as I approach glassy water. The company that works with Clamar Floats is working on all these challenges. The problem with Icons is finding a place to put this device and feeding it with USB poser (5V). The sensor CANNOT see through Carbon Fiber AND it MUST have a simple way of determining gear position.

I am thinking we could (those of us interested) acquire a spare seawing. Make a small area in the CF for the sensor and put a proximity sensor near the wheel for gear position (no messing with Icon electronics). This device connects to an iPad using Bluetooth. The problem is getting 5V to the device. There are NO wire channels that I know-of for getting from the glovebox to the seawings... Are their thoughts? Could we get an MRA from Icon to drill run power? (probably NO) Should we design the seawing with a sealed battery, magnets and an induction coil for wireless charging once a month or so... Looking for ideas...

Not having this technology is a bummer...
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I've often wondered why the 796 couldn't be programmed to recognize landing descent final and with it's knowledge of what's below put a "gear down?" or "gear up?" request on the screen much as it does now with obstacles potentially in the current flight path. The same could go fo an add on to Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Robertson View Post
    I've often wondered why the 796 couldn't be programmed to recognize landing descent final and with it's knowledge of what's below put a "gear down?" or "gear up?" request on the screen much as it does now with obstacles potentially in the current flight path. The same could go fo an add on to Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.
    Those are never accurate to the level (to the foot) that the laser height measuring seaplane devices are, and in the case of the 796, is subject to an accurate baro reading input (which on a lake is coming from...where?). They aren't even horribly expensive, it would be nice of course if Icon were to create a path to implementation on one of these given the number of incidents there have been.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Foreflight does have an accurate baro-altitude readout in the latest version out - as long as you have an ADS-B compatible receiver with baro altitude. It uses the closest altimeter setting it can find through ADS-B or internet. Only problem is that Foreflight only has an available alert at 500'.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    For those that have the G3X version of the plane, unfortunately that's not us or anyone else on the FE team, this may be an interesting add-on now: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...sport-aircraft