1. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Icon Employee

ICON Owner Update - Robert and Sandy Denton

ICON Family,

I wanted to let you know that we recently lost a member of our owner community. Robert Denton and his wife Sandy passed away late last month in a mishap while flying their Cessna through Georgia on the way to Michigan.

Bob had been an A5 owner since early 2019 and he was one of the first to put an ICON A5 into a flight school — Giving Wings Aviation in Traverse City, Michigan, of which he was a founder. That task did not come without its challenges, but Bob remained committed and saw it through, and to this day Giving Wings Aviation remains one of the most popular destinations to pursue a Seaplane Rating in the ICON A5.

Bob attended the first ICON Owners and Pilots Association (IOPA) meetup in Florida earlier this year, where several of you had a chance to meet him. If you crossed paths with him in Florida or elsewhere, I’m sure you saw that he was one of our warmest and most supportive owners. He was passionate about growing our A5 pilot and owner community and enabled countless people to experience adventure flying in the lakes of Northern Michigan.

Bob’s infectious spirit and unwavering support for ICON will be missed.

If you are interested in supporting the Denton family during this time, please consider making a gift in memory of Bob and Sandy to the Biomechanics Research and Development Fund at Wayne State University here.

Sincerely,

Jerry Meyer
    CEO
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Jerry,

Thanks for sharing this sad news with the broader Icon family. I met Bob and Sandy at the IOPA summit, and their enthusiasm for the Icon was so high that I asked either of them to join the IOPA board. Bob immediately stepped up. They will be sorely missed.

Name:  IMG_1410.jpeg
Views: 439
Size:  2.31 MB

As pilots, we always try to learn from these tragedies. I am hopeful that the NTSB will do a detailed investigation.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/a...ort/107153/pdf
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Insurance Provider
    I had the opportunity to get to know Bob and Sandy over the last several months and had talks with Bob regularly via phone after meeting him and Sandy in Traverse. I saw Bob again at Sun N Fun in April and we talked for over an hour about flying, airplanes and life.

Well said Jerry and Marcus. Thanks for the post.
    Joe Ryan
    Aviation Insurance Broker
    CML, ATP, CFII
    Direct: 612-294-7215
    [email protected]