1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Seat Belt inertia reel failure

I have had some issues for the past year with the passenger inertia reel locking up when trying to pull it out of the housing. It appears it has finally failed completely. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues and has anyone replaced a unit.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just had problems with mine here in the last week. We had trouble pulling it out, had to really work to get it extended and retracted. We could hear a vibration coming out of it. Sounds like the same issue. I was thinking of pulling the panel and looking at it, did you just have to replace it?
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yes, it had to be replaced. I contacted the manufacturer and they were about $350 each - but they had a minimum order of $500 and a lead time of 8 weeks. Icon had them in stock for immediate shipment .
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yes I had to have mine replaced as well on my last annual done at Avian in Bremerton WA. Surprisingly it was the right side which gets used less than the left as I often fly without a passenger.
    There was minor chafing on the belt which is why they replaced it which I believe was caused by an improperly installed or damaged plastic cover. It had just over 100 hrs on it serial no 124.
    Sadly I am having the same problem with the new one of not being able to get it to release without multiple attempts.
    One unrelated question…. My instrument lights and charging ports in the console don’t work after my annual at Avian.
    Any ideas?
    Gerry Visser 604-854-0887
    Abbotsford BC