1. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Burnt Cowling, Again…

Has anyone experienced the burning of the lower cowl on the right side of plane due to misaligned exhaust pipe?

I had it and took it to Tampa where they reset the exhaust and replaced the piece of cowling but just 6 hours later of flying and it’s back just as before. Am I the only one and does anyone have any experience with repairing this?
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 57 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Since you have serial number 157, either something changed with how your cowling was assembled, or exhaust was built or the technicians are not setting it correctly. There were plenty mis-aligned exhaust pipes on the production line that would get flagged and have production adjust them to alleviate the issue you are having. Once a few happened they knew it could be issue and developed a procedure to not only align them but to check for it this was about 47 airplanes before yours was built so they should have it down by now. Do you have a photo you can post so I can see how far it is misaligned? This should not happen.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Name:  IMG_1298.jpeg
Views: 909
Size:  1.61 MB
    Just last month!
  4. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 57 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Michel you have a different exhaust design and the reason for the burning was due to the safety wire failure on yours. The OP exhaust is the new design which was production implemented from ASN110+ he is due to a failure of being aligned properly.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rofe View Post
    Has anyone experienced the burning of the lower cowl on the right side of plane due to misaligned exhaust pipe?

I had it and took it to Tampa where they reset the exhaust and replaced the piece of cowling but just 6 hours later of flying and it’s back just as before. Am I the only one and does anyone have any experience with repairing this?
    You are not the only one. I have it now as well, my Hobbs shows 100 hours and my serial number is 0153. 43 airplanes further of the ominous #110 and close to your serial number.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Davenport View Post
    Since you have serial number 157, either something changed with how your cowling was assembled, or exhaust was built or the technicians are not setting it correctly. There were plenty mis-aligned exhaust pipes on the production line that would get flagged and have production adjust them to alleviate the issue you are having. Once a few happened they knew it could be issue and developed a procedure to not only align them but to check for it this was about 47 airplanes before yours was built so they should have it down by now. Do you have a photo you can post so I can see how far it is misaligned? This should not happen.
    „I hear the message but lack the belief“ we say in German :-)
    I have serial number 153, pretty close to Richard‘s, and 43 airplanes further of the ominous #110. My Hobbs shows 100 hours and I have it, too. Seems they don’t have it down, yet.

Name:  4898EA53-D5C1-4F54-B8D5-F9297B1D0964.jpeg
Views: 889
Size:  61.9 KB
    Name:  AC381FA8-EB11-4097-BD2A-B1DFC32F496E.jpeg
Views: 912
Size:  30.6 KB
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    My aircraft is S/N 161; I have 138 hours on it, and recently I started seeing very slight burning-away of the right lower cowl, at the edge of the rear ventilation opening. See photos below. Anybody else has it at this spot?

Name:  IMG_2861.jpeg
Views: 879
Size:  405.9 KBName:  IMG_2862.jpeg
Views: 875
Size:  741.6 KB