1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Board of Directors, Dues, and Membership Drive

Dear member,

IOPA launched a little over a year ago. Since then we have grown to 72 Icon owners (46% of the active fleet), together composed over 500 helpful posts on the forums, and held our first Convention earlier this year in Tavares Florida. A small but mighty start!

Name:  5.jpeg
Views: 662
Size:  1.47 MB

Name:  12.jpeg
Views: 677
Size:  3.26 MB

Official Organization

Last month we became a 501(c)(7) organization (IOPA INC) and put together our first Board of Directors. The initial board was appointed by the founding members; in subsequent years we will have an open election by the membership.

• Marcus Adolfsson, to serve as President
    • Jay Curtis, to serve as Vice President
    • Ryan Samples, to serve as Secretary
    • Brett West, to serve as Treasurer
    • Michel Gadbois, to serve as Director at large

You can find the by-laws here: IOPA Bylaws 2023-04.pdf

Membership Drive

To build the broadest community, we eventually want 100% of Icon owners as members. Please check this list for owners that we are still trying to reach (aircraft with an empty member column). If you know any of them personally, please encourage them to join. You can use the below text to entice them!

As a proud ICON A5 owner, you are cordially invited to join the Icon Owners & Pilots Association (IOPA). This exclusive community is dedicated to those who, like you, appreciate the exhilaration of flight and the unique joys of this exceptional aircraft

As an IOPA member, you will gain access to a wealth of benefits designed to enhance your Icon ownership. Imagine attending social events and informative educational seminars, exchanging thrilling flight experiences and practical tips with fellow ICON A5 enthusiasts, all while building lifelong friendships with like-minded individuals.

Our online forum is a treasure trove of resources and knowledge-sharing. Here, you can participate in lively discussions, exchange ideas, and offer mutual support to your fellow ICON A5 owners and pilots.

But that's not all! IOPA is your voice in the aviation community. We advocate for your interests, working closely with ICON Aircraft and other industry representatives to ensure your needs and concerns are addressed.

Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity to expand your horizons and deepen your connection with the ICON A5 community. Join IOPA for free today at www.iopa.org

Blue Skies,

IOPA Board of Directors
    We just did a postal mailing to all US-based registrations that are not yet members, hopefully, that will drive some additional registrations.

Name:  membership drive.jpeg
Views: 646
Size:  162.9 KB

Membership Dues

In 2024 we plan to start charging membership dues, just like any other aircraft-type club. So far the Board has personally funded the operation of the Association, but we need to make it self-sustaining for continuity.

The board is proposing the following tiers:

$99/yr Annual Member
    $999 Lifetime Member
    $1,999 Founding Member (only available through 2024)

We are working on enhancing the value-proposition of membership to make it a "no-brainer" and will have updates on that later in the year. To encourage subject matter expert participation, non-owner CFI, ICON employees, and maintenance providers can request complimentary membership.

Icon Swarms & Convention

We have decided to do two separate types of social events - Icon Swarms and Annual Conventions.

Icon Swarms are regionally focused fly-ins, a day event focused on social gathering at a restaurant for lunch and some fun flying together. The first few Swarms the board will organize, after that we will develop a toolkit that allows any member to easily organize and promote Icon Swarms so we can hold them throughout the country.

Our Annual Convention will be held at locations that are convenient to access via commercial travel, due to the slower speed and lack of IFR capability of the Icon. Because of the logistics involved, it would be a hardship to postpone a convention due to poor weather etc (hotel guarantees, speaker's travel etc). We consider the get-together in Tavares earlier this year our first convention, and future ones will follow a similar format (updates from Icon Aircraft, Safety and Training, Insurance sessions etc).

More to come - thanks for being part of this journey!

IOPA Board of Directors
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you for doing all this work!

I think that type clubs are a great thing. I am a due-paying member of the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association (“COPA”, not to be confused with the Canadian AOPA) and I think that having such a strong club is an important part of the success of Cirrus. I don’t own a Cirrus myself but I have been renting Cirri for the past 13 years and have nearly 300 hours in them. I learned a lot from being a member of COPA, and made some good friends along the way.

I appreciate and applaud the Board for creating and funding IOPA so far and will be happy to start contributing.