1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

In-Flight video setup for an Icon A5

Greetings everyone,

I enjoyed watching Tony Cacciarelli videos from his epic trip. Marcus Adolfsson seems to have a camera attached under the left wing, at least sometimes. Icon themselves post some stunning in-flight videos.

By contrast, so far, I have used my iPhone, hand-held by a passenger, to shoot very shot and noisy short videos. I would like to start capturing my own adventures a little better than that.

Can any of you folks share the details of your video setup? The cameras you use, the settings on said cameras, the mounting equipment, the mounting points, audio setup and any tips on battery usage (e.g., how do you power and turn on/off external cameras; how do you power inside cameras). Does anyone know what the folks at Icon have been using for their professional marketing videos?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Happy tailwinds,
    -yossi
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I used a Go Pro clamp mount on the left wing handle (where you grab the wing when you fold it). Works great!
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I use a GoPro with a suction cup mount right in front of the canopy latch to capture the cockpit and outside views. I also have an adapter that plugs into the headset jacks so I can record atc audio. I think I ordered all of that on Amazon
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I purchased mounts from "Sky Cowboy" that attach mid wing on the wing inspection panel. I use GoPro Hero 9's
    Attachments Attachments    
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Bad results:
    I used a standard GoPro mount above my head inside the cockpit (by the canopy latch), but the video had a lot of glare from light reflecting on the canopy from the dash. The video isn’t great by any means.
    I’m going to try to mount it outside next time and use the GoPro remote to turn it on and off. Thanks for posting, I’m hoping to learn some tips and trick from all these replies.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I have used a whole arsenal of GoPros with various mounts. BUT a few months ago I bought an Insta360 and I really like the small footprint this camera has (therefore less parasitic drag) and the seamless 360 degree view. GoPro's 360 view camera is just soooo bulky to mount externally IMHO.

A word of caution though - realize that IF you are using a mount that requires ANY tool to install or remove you could be dinged by the FAA if you are unlucky enough to get a ramp inspection of your aircraft (unless the rules have changed recently). These inspections don't happen very often - but I have known two pilots in the past that did get inspections. One got a letter later on about not having a POH onboard.

If you fly for a living and your income depends on your ticket (like me) any type of certificate action is something you don't want to mess with.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I thought that was a "decoy" hole to distract the mud daubers from using the pitot tube hole, since Kirk Hawkins had a bizarre dislike for pitot tube covers and so reinvented the pitot tube design to make it impossible to get a cover to stay on!
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Himes View Post
    A word of caution though - realize that IF you are using a mount that requires ANY tool to install or remove you could be dinged by the FAA if you are unlucky enough to get a ramp inspection of your aircraft (unless the rules have changed recently).
    Please detail why that is. I can guess but want to be clear as to what the issue is there.
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    If it’s a temporary installation, a suction cup or a HAND-tightened (no tools needed) strap for example, and is not a major or minor alteration (which requires FAA paperwork), then it’s legal. If it is permanently fixed to the airplane, machine screw mounts for example, then no it’s not legal unless you process the proper paperwork with the FAA. If it is an experimental aircraft, then you can mount it however you want. Since the A5 is not experimental (unless you convert it to experimental), and even more so because it is a light sport, the FAA is very restrictive as to what we, as owners, can and cannot do. As far as a ramp inspection - I personally wouldn't worry about it if my job didn't depend on me keeping my "ticket" intact.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Himes View Post
    I personally wouldn't worry about it if my job didn't depend on me keeping my "ticket" intact.
    I would think any action would be toward the plane (AW cert, etc.) not personnel, but I understand the concern out of prudence. Just get an A&P to sign it as a minor alteration if you are worried, and then you're fine. Interior mounts should be fine anywhere, and are usually suction cup or sticky-backed in nature).