1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Bose A30 in the Icon with the windows out

I upgraded to the Bose A30 last week and I am experiencing an almost constant buffeting noise with them flying the Icon with the windows out (kinda like when you fly the A20 with thick sunglasses). Really annoying and makes ATC hard to hear. Anyone experience the same? Thinking of going back to the A20 for now.
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just received my A30s this week. Should have some corroborating or exculpatory data for you soon!
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I bought the A30 at Sun N' Fun. I am having the EXACT same issue Marcus. I ditched it, and went back to my DeltaZulu headset for the A5, with windows out. One hack I now also do, with windows out, is stick my Apple ear buds on, then the headset. It cuts down on the noise considerably, great hack. And you can still hear ATC just fine with the volume up.
  4. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 57 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    I came up with hack on the Lightspeed Zulu 2 that enabled use of CEP or even earbuds along side the ANR for my very noisy Pitts special measured at 116dBA . The passive reduction of the CEP on top of the dynamic of the ANR is a game changer. The best part is my wiring hack also allows perfect music and stereo sound into the CEP. Think a beautiful marriage of a Clarity Aloft and Light Speed. I can share my wiring drawings if desired but it’s not a hack for the faint of heart electrics wise.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Wow thanks! I will try this next flight!
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I tried my A30s for the first time last week-end and was shocked at how loud the Outgoing noise was (engine noise picked-up by my microphone). I alway felt with my A20s that some of the engine noise was being filtered-out... It felt MUCH worse with my A30s. Anybody else experience this. My A30s have the mic on the right instead of the left on my A20s.
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Took my A30s out today with the windows out. I am never using them again in an Icon... Just ordered Delta Zulus... Hoping for the best!
  8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I received my Delta Zulu headsets and Tried Brett's trick of using the AirPod Pros WITH the headsets... It made the flight noise tolerable... tolerable... My question, to people smarter than me, (Mr. Davenport?), is there anything that can be done to quiet the cabin on the Icon?
  9. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 57 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Gadbois View Post
    I received my Delta Zulu headsets and Tried Brett's trick of using the AirPod Pros WITH the headsets... It made the flight noise tolerable... tolerable... My question, to people smarter than me, (Mr. Davenport?), is there anything that can be done to quiet the cabin on the Icon?
    I was messing with delta zulu's the other day and I found that wind/pressure can really disrupt and drive the ANR nuts. When I lightly put my fingers over the ANR mics little pick ups on each ear cup it dramatically reduced it. You might try some clear tape over those to dampen the air pressure pulses when the windows are out. It could also be a solution for foam like the way a mic muff works.

The best solution I have found is foam tipped "CEP's" from CEP USA. The problem is I was unable to make my hack on the Zulu 2's that I did for my Helmet work on the Delta Zulu's. They sadly changed the design... As for making the A5 cockpit quieter. I have tried everything within reason. We did expensive studies on this with instrumentation hiring some of the best noise attenuation experts on the planet. The reality is it would take a pretty expensive redesign of the airframe to reduce it taking in to account noise vibration and harshness. The beauty of carbon is its light weight and stiff. A snare drum is also light weight and stiff. Both are really good a propagating sound.

I think your bigger issue is the pressure pulses with the windows out right? If so experiment with some tape. maybe it might help. I'm not sure though. You could also just try covering them up with a finger lightly and see you have any better performance. I always thought the Bose A20's did the best job the lightspeed zulu's were a very close 2nd.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I will give the tape a try tomorrow... About the windows, I am realizing, thanks to my Hangar buddy/Icon owner, Jack McCartt, that the Icon LOVES to be flown at 4,300rpm. 75 knots, MUCH quieter, less vibration... I am thinking that when I choose to fly window-less, I need to just chill and slow down a bit.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just finished a flight today with both the Delta Zulus and the A30s. Windows were in. My old headset was a Zulu 3 and 2 before that.

What I found on the Delta Zulus was that if I turned the volume up all the way on the headset, it couldn't keep up with the noise cancelling when the engine was at full power. Reducing the volume setting on the headset (and turning up the radio a bit) improved performance dramatically when the engine was at full power.

On the A30s, when the engine was at full power, they couldn't keep up either, but the noise level was very tolerable and I could still hear the tower well. If you turn down the headset volume to below max, the Delta Zulus get the thumbs up for noise cancelling at full power, but the A30s are acceptable.

My hearing sucks, with a rapid drop off towards the higher frequencies, so choosing a headset that produces clear voices is at the top of my requirements list. Even after doing the adjustments on the Delta Zulus, the A30s still sounded crisper. The A30s get the thumbs up and right now I am leaning towards keeping them.

Final comment: Michel is spot on with the windows out, 4,300 comment. I don't think any noise cancelling can keep up with the pressure pulses with windows out. And the experience isn't much fun for the pilot and passenger anyway with all the vibration and noise. Just fly a bit slower!
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Something for everyone to consider is how you have your Trig radio set up. I spent some time with the people at Trig and learned that little radio has a lot of features and settings most people do not know about. Of the 15 or so Icon's I have flown every one of them the radio was set differently. My suggestion is to study the manual and start making adjustments. I have found that you have to change the squelch setting differently for when the windows are installed verse when they are out. I mainly fly now with Delta Zulu headsets, but have a lot of hours with the Bose A20 and the Lightspeed Zulus.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    So Matt, are you saying that you can get the Delta Zulus to work well with the windows out and at higher engine speeds? (I haven't yet returned the Delta Zulus)
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Brugger View Post
    So Matt, are you saying that you can get the Delta Zulus to work well with the windows out and at higher engine speeds? (I haven't yet returned the Delta Zulus)
    Hi Steve,
    Yes the Delta Zulu's work well at 5,000 and 5,500 RPM windows in or out. Please note: You do need to set your Trig radio differently for windows in and out. Once you learn how it only takes a moment.
  15. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 16 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Has anyone found an electrical noise elimination solution? Icon knows that there is an electrical noise problem from the strobes (at least in the founders edition birds) and I have been searching for a way to legally eliminate or at least reduce it. Haven't had any luck yet though. I usually just run with strobes off - unless night flying. Bet even then. I get some noise from the position lights it seems.

Another interesting problem with the noise is that when flying at night in a dark cockpit my bilge warning annunciator dimly flashes in time with the strobes. Go figure ...
  16. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 35 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I completed my night XC for my PPL this week-end and I noticed the really dim bilge flashing... Now I know why! Thanks.
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yep, exact same issue in #196. Just got the plane to Dex in Tampa and put that on my squawk list.