1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

It's time to get our Parachutes Repacked

Hello All,

I was going over my Aircraft (airframe) logbook and it seems I need to get my Parachute Repacked... Has anyone gone through this? I would expect a bit of A&P labor and a Ton of wait time at BRS. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just had this come up during my annual/conditional. My repack is due in November 2023.
    Apparently the clock starts ticking on a repack when the chute is manufactured [or delivered, can't remember exactly] but since ICON was delayed starting initial production [I have S/N: 57] those chutes sat on the shelf in Vacaville for 18 months or so before they were installed in an aircraft. So, the repack is coming up sooner than ICON had anticipated for early S/N aircraft.
    My mechanic had a conversation with ICON and it sounds like they're working on a solution for this where they will have replacement chutes/systems available so it can be a swap out instead of repack. I don't have any more details than that, but if that plan comes together then we won't have be grounded for too long for this. Also not sure if there's a cost difference for replace vs repack. I would assume the removed unit could be repacked and reused, but again I have no details on this yet.
    Will let you all know if/when I hear anything further.

tc
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for the reminder! I just checked my logbooks. For serial #111 the parachute was installed August 2019 and needs to be repacked by Feb 2024 (54 months, so the parachute sat for 6 months before install).

Name:  serial111.png
Views: 1006
Size:  254.9 KB

For serial #111 the parachute was installed May 2021 and needs to be repacked by April 2025 (46 months, the parachute sat for 14 months before install).

Name:  serial140.png
Views: 979
Size:  138.6 KB
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    James, my favorite A&P tells me there is a new agreement between Icon and BRS and that from now on, Parachute repacks and Rocket replacements will happen TOGETHER at 8yr intervals. This will make the process easier since both will be done at once. Unfortunately for us 2017-2018 Icons, the parachutes were acquired in 2015 so we will all be due soon. I will have mine repacked/replaced when I return from Canada.