1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 37 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Voltage on G3X vs mini AI

On my G3X Icon, I frequently get "Low Voltage" alerts on the mini attitude indicator even when the battery is freshly charged although I don't have any issues starting the plane.

I recently noticed that the voltage on the G3X reads almost 1.2v higher (11.8 v vs 10.6 v). Anyone else seeing such a large difference in the readings?

Either way both seem low, I am going to bring my multimeter before the next flight to check the actual voltage on the battery charging terminals.

Name:  IMG_1615.jpeg
Views: 469
Size:  2.58 MB
    St Petersburg, FL - N1BA #140 Icon G3x & N329MC Phenom 300
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 56 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    It’s a couple of things voltage drop issue combined with measurement difference. Measuring at the battery will certainly give you the charge state of the battery but as you get further away the voltage will drop especially on weight sensitive aircraft where you run as small gage wire as can get away with. In other words you will get different values depending on the circuit length and size is wire. If I recall correctly the AI and G3X on are different circuits thus the difference. For what it’s worth, the spec limit of voltage drop by the FAA for continuous use is 0.5 volts on 14v circuit. In the harness I designed and installed on my experimental home built Pitts is about 3 ft away from the battery between that and the error of the display I get 0.2-0.3 volt drop from measured at the battery posts. In other words this is a pretty common thing but may be on the extreme side in your case. Also your battery light isn't on as that voltage is measured up on the bus bar in a completely different place by the DAC.