1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Fuel pressure warning as I reduce Throttle abeam the numbers.

Hello Fellow Icon flyers. I was coming back from a short cross country today 40 minute flight. 2,500ft ASL, 4 degrees C, Dew Point -1. As I got abeam the numbers and dropped the RPM to 3400, While I had my hand on the gear lever, waiting for the Yellow aircraft to light-up. I got a Fuel Pressure Amber warning. I blipped the throttle and the warning light extinguished. I pressed the test button to make sure. Has anyone experienced an unexpected Fuel Pressure Amber light in the middle of a flight? The only other thing I experienced (not really sure its a thing) but I could swear that pulling on the syringe this morning was harder than usual...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Blue Skies.

Michel
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 57 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Classic symptom of a fuel filter that needs replacement. How many hours since your last 100 hour? If you are close this is the likely culprit and will go away with a new fuel filter.

That said, this will also happen to a cold fuel pressure regulator. The bellows in the fuel pressure regulator is a little less stiff in the summer months when the fuel is warmer. This is mostly Rotax's fault as they demand that the fuel pressure be 43.5 +/- 3 PSI. This is a little too tight for the variances in build of Bosch mechanical fuel pressure regulators. Swapping out a fuel pressure regulator with one that not on the high side of the tolerance is also a fix.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Annual was 7 months ago at 245TT. Now at 325. Thanks for the info.