1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

AirVenture Oshkosh 2023

Who's going to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh this year?!!

For those who have attended in years past, any advice for a first timer? Should we plan on arriving via the Seaplane Base in our ICON A5? How does that work (docking, mooring, ramping, etc.)?
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 31 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I went there "commercial" last summer to test-fly the Icon. I visited the Lake and Seaplane base and I found it very disappointing. Very few planes and displays. I plan to fly my Icon to Whitman Field and camp with my plane. Does not preclude water fun during the week.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I attended the show back in 2019. I had a hotel in Green Bay, so flew the A5 into Austin Straubel International [KGRB] then down to the seaplane base. It's waaaay more casual than flying The Arrivalâ„¢ to Whitman. They had a soft dock set up that worked just fine. Once I unloaded, they moved the plane over to a mooring ball. I took the bus over to Whitman, walked around the show for a few hours, then bussed back to the seaplane base. They tendered me out to the mooring ball and then towed me and the plane out into the lake for startup and takeoff. Everyone at the seaplane base was very friendly and helpful. I even got some free swag :-)
    After that I flew over to the lake where ICON were doing their demo flights, then back to KGRB.

I'm not sure I'll go back again this year. It's an impressive show to see, but I feel like I've checked that off to the level I want.
    Also not sure if anything has changed around the seaplane base since my visit, so check all the official EAA info, of course.

Here are a couple videos I posted on Instagram [hope the links work]:

Arrival: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0UyziRB9jt/
    Docking: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0U0k-gBGhb/